For about 10 years you’ve been coming home and ending a long day with one of your favorite things. You’ve cuddled, snuggled and maybe even ate breakfast between the 25,000 hours during this ongoing relationship. Between the long and sometimes short nights, you knew the day would come, when it must end. But the trouble with endings is deciding when the time is right.
When there’s a rip in your jeans – time for a new pair. Car doesn’t start – time for a new one. Phone screen shattered – time for an upgrade. When is it time for a new mattress? How can you tell when your beloved mattress is no longer beloved? The pros say to replace after 10 years of use but what are the signals?
We’re at it again with 6 warning signs it’s time for a new mattress.
1. You’re tired and sore, even after a long night’s sleep?
Do you often wake up tired after an average sleep? Or is your body sore and stiff like a board most mornings? These symptoms signal your mattress is no longer providing the support your body needs to fully relax and rest through the night. When your mattress stops providing the needed support, you’ll toss and turn more often, leading to unsweet dreams.
2. Your mattress is crying to be replaced. Lay down…and listen. Can you hear that? Your bed creaking and moaning with every movement might be a cry for help. Check your mattress and foundation – if they’re screaming, they might be stopping you from entering a deep sleep and waking up refreshed.
3. Your mattress holds on to your body (impression) even when you’re gone. Next time you get out of bed, take a look to see if there is a lasting impression on the mattress. Lasting impressions are the result of deep sagging, meaning the support you need is no longer there.
4. You don’t miss your comfy bed when you travel. Sleeping away from home can be tough, especially with unfamiliar sounds and blankets. There’s nothing like your own comforter and mattress. If you don’t ‘miss your bed’ or love your bed – and feel refreshed from a different bed, it may be time to purchase a replacement.
5. You don’t remember when you purchased a mattress. If your mattress is hitting the 10 year mark, it’s time to start shopping for a new one. Technology advances have changed the foams and support used in today’s mattresses. Also, your body has changed within that time. If you’ve gained or lost weight, started having health issues or have a new spouse, time for a new beautiful mattress.
6. You partner isn’t sleeping as well as you are. If you’re sleeping fine but your partner is tossing and turning all night – new occurrence – there’s a good chance your mattress isn’t providing the adequate support to your partner. Plus, an uncomfortable partner can disrupt your nightly routine too. And make for grumpy mornings.
Ready to go mattress shopping and start sleeping better? If you’re ready for a new mattress, we’d love to help you find the right one for you. Visit our Find a Retailer page and we’ll locate a store close by where you can lie on our mattresses and talk to a trained sales professional.
Call Us: +1 800-218-3578
Mon-Fri 10am-9pm PST
Sat-Sun 10am-8pm PST