If someone in your home had Covid, you might be thinking about how to clean a mattress after Covid exposure. Don't worry, we've got some easy steps to help you make that mattress fresh and clean again!
Key Takeaways: Cleaning Your Mattress After Covid
- Take Off Bedding: Remove sheets and wash them in hot water.
- Vacuum the Mattress: Use the vacuum cleaner with an upholstery attachment.
- Spot Clean Stains: Use a mix of dish soap and water to clean any spots.
- Disinfect the Mattress: Lightly spray with a fabric-safe disinfectant.
- Deodorize: Sprinkle baking soda, let it sit, then vacuum it off.
- Air Out: Let the mattress air dry for a few hours.
- Put Clean Bedding On: Once the mattress is dry, make the bed with clean bedding.
Step 1: Strip the Bed
First, take off all the sheets, pillowcases, and mattress covers. Wash them in hot water if you can. This helps kill any germs.
Step 2: Vacuum the Mattress
Grab your vacuum cleaner and put on the upholstery attachment. Gently vacuum the entire mattress. This helps remove dust and tiny particles.
Step 3: Spot Clean Stains
If you see any spots or stains, now's the time to clean them. Mix a little dish soap with water and gently dab the stains with a cloth. Don't rub too hard!
Step 4: Disinfect the Mattress
To kill germs, you can use a disinfectant spray that's safe for fabrics. Spray it lightly over the mattress and let it air dry. Make sure you use a product that won't harm the mattress material.
Step 5: Deodorize with Baking Soda
Sprinkle some baking soda over the mattress. This helps get rid of any bad smells. Let it sit for a few hours, then vacuum it up.
Step 6: Air Out Your Mattress
If possible, let your mattress sit without sheets for a few hours. This helps it fully dry and get fresh air.
Step 7: Put Clean Bedding On
Once your mattress is dry and fresh, put on clean sheets and covers. And there you go, a clean mattress!
Some Extra Tips for Cleaning Your Mattress After COVID-19
- Always check the mattress label for specific cleaning instructions.
- Don't soak your mattress in water or cleaner. It's tough to get it fully dry again, and that can lead to mold.
- If you're not sure about a cleaning product, test it on a small area first.
Remember, keeping things clean is important, especially after an illness like Covid. Your mattress is no exception. With these simple steps, you can make sure your mattress is a clean and cozy place to rest!
How often should I clean my mattress after someone had Covid?
Clean it right after they get better. If someone is sick for a long time, you might want to clean it more often.
Can I use any disinfectant on my mattress?
Use one that's safe for fabrics. Don't use anything too strong that might damage the mattress.
Will cleaning my mattress get rid of the Covid virus completely?
Cleaning helps a lot, but it's hard to say it will get rid of the virus 100%. It's one part of keeping your home safe.
Do I need to throw away my mattress if I had Covid?
Usually, you don't need to. Just clean it well. Only throw it away if it's really old or was already in bad shape.
Is it safe to sleep on a mattress that someone with Covid used?
Yes, after you clean it. Follow the steps in the blog to make it safe again.
Can baking soda kill the Covid virus?
Baking soda doesn't kill the virus. It's for getting rid of smells. The disinfectant spray helps kill germs.
How long should I leave baking soda on the mattress?
A few hours is good. It gives it time to work on the smells.