Time to pre-plan your alcohol consumption tonight and sidestep the aftermath of grogginess and headaches.
Sporting your favorite Irish gear? Today is St. Patrick’s day and around the world people are cheering and jigging in salute to their Irish pride and heritage – even if they’re not Irish. At 5 pm the beers and good times will be flowing and soon to follow, an unlucky hangover.
After 8 long hours at the office today – the pub and Guinness beer couldn’t sound better. Trouble is getting shut-eye and skipping into the office tomorrow morning might be as elusive as finding a pot o’ gold. Time to pre-plan your alcohol consumption tonight and sidestep the aftermath of grogginess and headaches.
While waiting to catch a leprechaun, we hacked tips for getting adequate sleep after drinking and to nurse your hangover – so your weekend is golden.
• Stay hydrated – Hydrate regularly throughout the day. Stick to water or a healthy energy boosting beverage such as ginger root tea. Having plenty of water in your system will keep you from being thirsty, which will help you drink alcohol slower tonight.
• Rest up – After work, go home and relax. Don’t be afraid to take a power nap. It’s important to stay close to you regular sleep routine and not overdo it with a night of drinking.
• Eat beforehand – If you drink with an empty stomach, you’ll feel the effects of alcohol faster. Your body will slow down it’s absorption of the alcohol you drink after eating and it will take longer to feel the effects. Good food choices before drinking include – bread, pasta, meat and cheese. Also, any foods high in protein and carbs will do.
• Go one for one – Since alcohol strips water from the body, keep the H2O flowing all night. “We advise alternating between an alcoholic drink and water,” according to the Mayo Clinic. Drinking water throughout the evening can help reduce the chance of a headache tomorrow.
• Midnight snack – Before going to bed, have a snack. At this point, hours may have flown by since your last meal. Snacking before bed can help steer away from a hangover.
• Sleep – Hopefully you aren’t ruining your sleep routine. It’s crucial to have enough snooze time for the alcohol to metabolize out of your body. Sleep helps repair the body from all the green beer you consumed. The longer you sleep, the less chance of regretting your choices from the night before.
• Water, water, water – After drinking alcohol all evening, your body is dehydrated this morning. If you didn’t leave that glass of water on your bedside table, grab some now and repeat. Energy drinks are a good alternative as they contain electrolytes that replenish your body.
• Take a shower – Before heading into the office, wash your hangover away. A shower might not cure your hangover but you’ll feel refreshed if you need to get on the move.
• Pill for the pain – Take two aspirin the night before and when you wake up, advises WebMD. It will help relieve some of the headache pain as well as relieve some of the inflammation that alcohol can cause.
• Sugar – Many people find that sugary drinks and foods help them recover from hangovers, as blood glucose can dip very low after a binge. A can of Sprite can reduce the trembly sensations and give you a quick energy boost.
• Eat – Your body needs fuel. Pick foods rich in carbs and easy to digest. Eggs are great for hangovers as well as cereal and toast. The goal is to get calories back into your body and be energized for the day ahead.
• 1 egg
• 2 tablespoons all-purpose (plain) flour
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 2 tablespoons butter
In a bowl, whisk together the egg with the cream. Add the potato and flour, season with salt and pepper, and stir to mix. The mixture will be slightly runny.
Melt the butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the potato mixture and cook for 8 to 10 minutes on each side, until the surface is golden brown and the potato is cooked through. Remove to a serving plate and cut into wedges to serve. Recipe via Buzzfeed.com
What’s the best way to cure a hangover? Abstain from drinking. The next best thing to shrug off the alcohol is to sleep it off. If you’re worried about throwing off your sleep routine, wake up when your body tells you and conquer your hangover.
Call Us: +1 800-218-3578
Mon-Fri 10am-9pm PST
Sat-Sun 10am-8pm PST